Official site of the Illinois Journalism Education Association, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston

Illinois JEA

Chicago-area advisers learn from each other at 2017 Teach-In

Scholastic media advisers gathered in a high rise on Wacker Drive on Aug. 8 to not only enjoy the Chicago newsroom of Northwestern University’s Medill School and its view of Lake Michigan, but also to learn more about the pressing issues in student media advising for the new school year.

The 2017 Teach-In was co-sponsored by the AEJMC Scholastic Journalism Division and the IJEA to bring together advisers in the northern part of the state for professional development. Approximately 35 advisers learned about media law and ethics, covering campus protests, self-censorship and free speech, as well as how to handle “fake news.”

Also, Roosevelt University’s Linda Jones, pictured first row, center, gave the Honors Lecture just a few days later for the AEJMC Scholastic Division on Aug. 11. The full text of her remarks can be found here: Linda Jones Honors Lecture Transcript.

We hope the Teach-In provided a strong platform from which to launch into the 2017-2018 year of scholastic media advising.